Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't get sick

If you've missed me here, it's because I've been sick. It's a miserable thing to be. When you are little and hear old people talk about whatever ache or pain they've got, it's a puzzlement. Why do they do that you wonder? Well, having hit the mark where talking about it jumps into almost every conversation, I finally have an answer. You talk about it because you can't believe it. When I was a girl on Rose Drive in Louisville, I could climb higher, jump farther and take more chances than any boy because I was dubbed "Tomboy" from the moment I could climb up on something. I have always thought of myself as healthy, the polio and other assorted childhood problems notwithstanding. Up until I was about 40, I still wildly did all those daredevil things at breakneck speed, plus I took dance class almost every day, so I felt good. What happened?? Part of it I offer for consideration is the computer. I sit here instead of running, jumping and climbing. And my body is complaining about it. Ray Charles used to say "The body rules the brain, not the other way around." I didn't agree with him then or now because if my body ruled my brain, I'd be up and out of here at a fast clip, instead of moving slowly from couch to computer. However, after this last trip the hospital, my grandchildren have decided to take charge of my 'movement' schedule. One twin has me at the gym Wed Thur and Friday. My guy JP has me on the Pilates Gym for 15 minutes a day. I'm trying to make myself walk in these silly toneup shoes at least a half a mile a day. We will see what we see in a month about the conditioning of Ruth Adkins Robinson.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are back blogging (and feeling better).

    ReplyDelete