Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Our Phonebook

Phonebooks come in all shapes and sizes and our reaction to their contents are based in pure emotions. We used to carefully choose where we wanted to put those treasured numbers --from the little black book to my own pink leather number. Before we started using our phones for phonebooks, those you hold in your hand and write into could get really tattered. Take the case of my old friend Sammy Davis Jr. His phone book had pages falling out of it and looked like an elephant had stepped on it. And guess what, on ebay right now Sammy Davis's beat-up phone book is up for auction with an opening bid of 8,000. wish I had a spare 8k and I'd buy because Mr D. is still so inportant to me, although he's been dead 20 years now. When it first went up for auction, a friend of mine called me up to stay Sam's phone book was up on eBay and "Hey, Ruth, your name and number is in there." Sammy is still in my pink book. Oddly enough, I can't seem to erase anyone who is in there, even if they've been gone for a long time. Ray's private number is in there and that number is finally no good. They disconnected it a whole two years after his death. Hitting a delete button on the phone is a lot easier than erasing or blocking out a number on a page. I just looked through my book and so help me there is somebody under each page of the alphabet that is not good any longer. It speaks to the truth of my lawyer friend Jeffrey who said, "Face it Ruth, we are at a time of our lives that we go to more funerals than weddings!" Well having said that, let me encourage all my 'old' friends to go marry somebody, I'll come to the wedding and your new phone number with go into the pretty pink phone book of Ruth Adkins Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment