Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Sunday, January 3, 2010

History, History Who's Got the History

How did I get labeled the historian? Somehow long ago, I started correcting assertions based on "somebody said." I became editor-in-chief at BRE simply because I hated the fact that one writer didn't know the history of what he was writing about and did not know who Albert Ammons was or Meade Lux Lewis. I no longer have any connection whatsoever with BRE, but the knowledge that got me labeled the Historian still is stuck in my head. If you want to see something funny, sit in the room with me and Wren Brown as we struggle to out-history trivia each other!! Truth is, Wren has me beat, but he does have the advantage. After all his entire family as far back as Grandfather Troy forward has been making entertainment history. Troy Brown was in that first group of five Black actors who signed up with the Screen Actors Guild! I can recall the exact emotions I felt when I first got my Writers Guild Membership card, thinking it was an monumental achievement. Imagine how Troy Brown felt holding that SAG card in segregated Hollywood. Wonder what Grandfather Troy had to endure?? Back to sitting in the room with Wren. We are talking about the project "Blacks In Entertainment" with Blair Underwood, his producing partner Tommy Morgan and director Naisa Wong. On the history tip--Blair was actually the first Black leading man (read Hunk)in primetime TV with his role in "L.A. Law." There's a deep story with Blair and if what we are working on comes true, we'll get to tell these stories in a series in works. I am in fine company and this is a fine project. Let's see what history unfolds now for Ruth Adkins Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment