Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

There are times when only grease will do

Skip's funeral today and the repast where I saw some old friends and some old enemies made me want to live in this moment.... right now.... today. So I cooked and ate and listened to music. I didn't count anything that remotely resembled a calorie, a carb or fat content. In the South where I am from, they say "There are times when only grease will do." So I fried some chicken, made some green beans, fried some corn and okra and made some Johnny cakes. I slathered everything that needed it with a ton of butter and presented it to myself on my favorite bone china, Royal Albert Old Country Roses. While I ate, I listened to Otis. Only his aching heart felt right for my own weary heart. Then I took a nap on my couch. Old comfortable habits feel especially good when the freaking world seems haywire. I'm up now, with some writing to do before morning, because life's needs make you keep moving. I'm tired and want to sleep but duty calls and I always answer. I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment