Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Monday, November 9, 2009

Train Me

I like trains and have taken a train trip on every continent I've ever visited --the Bullet Train in Japan and the Blue High Speed train in France are two of the better ones and was stuck on a local milk run from Germany to Paris as punishment for making someone mad (that's another story for another time) . I used to take the train back and forth to Las Vegas every weekend and wish they would start that up again. Yesterday my friend Brenda Tyson and I rode Amtrak to San Diego to see Obba as "Sammy" at the Old Globe (he was magnificent!) It was a fantastic trip in business class that's a bit pricey but worth it. One of my favorite train rides was a while back taking the train home from New York, after my plane kinda crashed at JFK. Actually the wheels only collapsed on landing causing a bad skid narrowly missing a building that would have hurt us seriously. That was close enough to a real crash to make me reluctant to get on a plane. So the train it was. You can't take a direct train, it had to be a sleeper overnight to Chicago and change to the Southwest Chief for the rest of the trip. I had a great stateroom with a recliner and giant window to watch the world roll by, a bed made up by the lovely steward and my food delivered to the room, I was ready to be productive--writing across country was the idea. I didn't count on the scenery, the rhythm and the rocking of the train. Lulled into sweet comfort, sleep called me and called me again. A wonderful experience and the next time I have three days that I can disappear, look for me rockin to the clickety-clack. I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment