Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Sunday, November 1, 2009

More Time Working

When do workaholics stop? It has been noted that no one, at the end of their life, ever said I wish I had spent more time at the office. But for my entire life I have worked, worked, worked often missing my family. Don't get it wrong, beginning with Larriann's first recital at two, I made all her shows and every performance the Twins gave at the Performing Arts Magnet at Hollywood High--plus all the holidays and birthdays of everybody. But I missed a good chunk of time just sitting around talking and listening. I've decided to make some changes and was very forcefully aided in this decision by my birthday celebration this week. I've had some amazing celebrations in the past and missed many celebrations by going to work in some country or the other. But this week, I had the choice of going to the reception for the Tavis Smiley driven "America I Am" exhibit at the California Science Center or staying home with my big, boisterous family to be the center of their attention. I stayed home and my daughter the chef prepared us a feast, old people drank bubbly and little kids drank bubbling apple cider. The hugs and laughter and all good feelings lasted into the night and I've resigned the title of workaholic. I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment