Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Monday, November 23, 2009

Two Good Old Boys Named Willie & Ray

When we were working on "The Apollo at 70: A Hot Night in Harlem," I was running out of the room every hour or so to sob out in the alley on 126th St. because trying to write that tribute to Ray was killing me. I couldn't tell anyone that he was dying, sworn to secrecy as I was. Finally I told the producers Don and Suzanne because they had to know how to cut it and I had to write it so what was said would work if he were still alive or had already died. Don got Willie Nelson to drive 1,500 miles across the country to come and repeat what he had said on many occasions-- that Ray Charles had done more for country music than most anybody. Rehearsal night, Willie and I sat in the Apollo and talked about "Seven Spanish Angels," the duet Ray took down to Willie and they recorded. At the time, I didn't think it was really a duet song, but Ray never listened to anyone anyhow, so down he went and of course Willie sang it. There is a clip on YouTube now with Leon Russell, Willie and Ray singing, "Song for You," and during most of it, Willie is staring at Ray like a little brother looking up to his older sibling with rapt adoration. At one point, he seemed to have tears in his eyes. After Ray started, Leon and Willie for the most part sat out and Ray did his thing. They seemed to be just two good ole boys when they were together, in whatever smoke-filled room wherever it was. Willie's band would do little musical things to see if Ray would hear. It delighted everybody when he did and that was each and every time. Willie cried full out at the funeral. There is a line in "Song for You" that goes, "And when my life is over, remember when we were together and I was singing my song for you." I hold those memories close and I'm thinking Willie does also.

No comments:

Post a Comment