Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Whistling in the Dark @ 2107 West Washington Blvd.

Everybody in my family sang, played an instrument or played an instrument while singing. My Aunt Lena played the upright bass, truly funny because every bass ever made was taller than she was at about 4' 10". There were many different versions of our family bands. Lena and her three brothers, Uncle Paul, Uncle Taft and my Daddy, Estil played together. Then each of them had a band with kids and cousins. They sang in church and played around at local gigs. So you think I'd be genetically programmed to sing, dance and play. Wrong. While I admit to singing at the top of my lungs, with all my heart very often down through the years, people haven't always appreciated it. Ray once said, "Now, little Baby, you know I love you, but I have to ask you one thing, Don't Sing." We were actually sitting in the falling darkness at 2107 West Washington and I was looking up at the skylight that looked like a moon and trying to show him another song I'd written that I wanted him to record. After all my song, "I Can Make It Thru the Days," had made it up the charts to the Top Twenty and I wanted a repeat. I like songwriting, even if I can't sing what I've written... oh well.--sitting here whistling, I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment