Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Missed Fred

I clicked on Deaths in 2009 a minute ago. I wanted to see something about Don Hewitt and hit that box. Suddenly I saw Fred Travelena's face. It was a shock because I didn't know he had died. One of my funniest memories is of being in Sammy Davis's suite at the Aladdin Hotel. Sam always took his own personal pots and pans when he was working anywhere and often would invite some pal or other to cook. Off Brian Dellow and I would go to the market and buy all the stuff for me to cook the Puerto Rican Arroz con Pollo that Sam liked. On this particular day, I'd made it too hot for Sam and he was yelling at me when Fred came in. They started doing a routine of various people complaining that my food was too hot. Master impressionists both of them and we laughed and laughed as a long list of characters said bad things about my cooking. Too soon it was time for Sam to get ready for the night's show. I ran into Fred on a flight to somewhere about five years after Sammy died and we just hugged and remembered our friend and that silly day and how special it was. Rest well, Fred. I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment