Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Oh Yeah, I Got Soul.

Back in the day, there was a magazine called Soul. It was something so important in our world, it might be hard to even believe the impact it had, to imagine what Soul made you feel when you held it. You knew you were gonna find something inside that you'd never get anywhere else. The articles were always longer than what was in the other papers. It made your own soul feel better to pour over the pages. If you were in the black entertainment business, you had to be in the pages of Soul Magazine. If you were black and wanted to write for a major publication, Soul was the place to polish your craft and hang out with some superstars in music, film, tv and other areas. I wanted to be the editor of Soul Magazine. But too shy me didn't have nerve enough to do anything about it. The co-founder of Soul, Regina Jones, told me yesterday she was sure Ken would have given me the job if I had asked for it. I have urged her for at least ten years to do a book about the magazine. Now Regina has one-upped my long ago dream, she is going to do a book and she is going to do it with one excited Ruth Adkins Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment