Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

No Good Home Training

I walked into my office today and tripped over an electrical cord that was hanging out of the back of the monitor. Someone had disconnected my viewing station hookup and taken it away to use in another part of the building. That's fine, it's not exclusively mine, but when they brought it back, they just shoved it into the room --not in the same place they found it of course and not with all the connections connected. This is an example of what Coy Lee Burriss Oakes, my Big Mom, would call 'no good home training.' Her admonition to me always was "Leave things better than you found them." Yep, she was big on manners and the reason I'm never, ever, ever late. She used to say people will think you think more of yourself than you do of them. (back in those days, opinions mattered to people) Her voice echoes in my brain often. When you are young some things that are said to you make you screw up your brain in knots trying to figure out what that means. For instance, she used to say "Once a man and twice a child," what a puzzle that was until I saw my first old person suffering from dementia. My Grandmother only raised me for 14 years before she was killed, but her home training still echos. I always try to leave things better than I found them. Now if I could just get these jabonies who figure in my life to do that as well. I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment