Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Friday, October 16, 2009

Obba is Sammy

My producing partner, Obba Babatunde is Sammy Davis. Actually he turns into Sammy at the drop of a pair of tap shoes, but these days theatregoers in San Diego are getting to see him do that since he is starring in the title role at the Old Globe in San Diego in Sammy's world premiere. The new musical's book, music and lyrics are from Leslie Bricusse, with additional songs by Bricusse and Anthony Newley. Sammy will run through Nov. 8, so you don't have all that much time to get on the freeway and go down. Sammy introduced me to Obba back in 1984 telling me that "Obba was the only cat that can do everything I can do." If you have never seen Obba turn into Sammy, get ready to have your breathe taken away. I'm going down for my birthday and Obba says bring two hankerchiefs because he knows how much I've missed Sam in the last nineteen years. Yeah, that's right. Mr. D died 19 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment