Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Peaceful Obama

My President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize and I wept. It's the first time in a few months that I've felt the same tearful emotions that swept over me when he took the stage at Grant Park in Chicago last November. While I was part of the festivities at the Inauguration, having written the Commander-In-Chief's Inauguration Ball, some of the magic had slipped away in the months since then. Am I nuts? He made me feel proud to be an American, after hiding my passport for years the Rethuglicans were in office. All of my friends in all the other countries that I keep in touch with still say how amazing he is, how he has given us back our pride with his great acceptance of other religions and creeds, how he is so much smarter and wiser than Bush and the Prince of Darkness Dick. I got an email from that darling rabble rouser Michael Moore that said in part, I think the Nobel committee, in awarding Obama the prize, was also rewarding the fact that something profound had happened in a nation that was founded on racial genocide, built on racist slavery, and held back for a hundred-plus years by vestiges of hateful bigotry (which can still be found on display at teabagger rallies and daily talk radio). The fact that this one man could cause this seismic historical event to occur -- and to do so with such grace and humility, never succumbing to the bait, but still not backing down (yes, he asked to be sworn in as Barack Hussein Obama). Count on Moore to crystalize it for us. For God and Allah and Buddah's sake, the man has only been in office nine months. The Rethuglicans fucked us for 20 years, particularly painfully so with Bush/Cheney. When he stands before the King to accept his Peace Prize in December, I'll be over here in Los Angeles yelling and cheering!!!! I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment