Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Friday, October 16, 2009

Plus This

Fashion is interesting, I guess. Mostly I think some aspects of it are stupid, but there I am watching "Project Runway." I like it because it's basically pretty stupid and the judges are obscenely impressed with themselves. The 'designers' don't make anything a real woman would wear, but I guess that's the design of designers. Now I'm a big fan of Heidi, she's created a megamillion dollar empire on the strength of that runway walk and her unflappable straight ahead ability to push the entrepeneurship button to ever higher marks. But this post is all about what defines a plus size. On the other end of the spectrum, it's so ugly to me to see these painfully thin, obsessed little girls parade around barefoot in slips in their very own show called "Models of the Runway." Whether it is the producer's deft hand at cutting or perhaps the girls truly are that shallow and stupid, no way to know for sure. Models, it has seemed are expected to be at least semi anorexic, yet suddenly there is a big backlash over the anorexic models that are the norm for most 'walkers' and oh my the fuss when Glamour magazine put a plus size model inside their September issue. It's the description that bothers me. Let's get this real straight, from jump. I am a plus size. No doubt, not up for discussion. But who makes that determination? Glamour Magazine now has boldly taken the step of doing a whole spread of naked plus-sized models. Get ready for a whole spate of comments and observations about all the plus size women. Huh? Mostly the women who are labeled plus sized wear a 12 or 14. So when did those sizes fall under the plus size label? Oh yeah, I guess when they came up with the description for anybody over a size 14 as being morbidly obese. No wonder little girls start starving themselves at age ten. I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment