Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Golden Bird on Adams

Back in the '60s, I lived on Juliet Street near the intersection of Adams and Vermont. Today I had an appointment that took me down Adams. I looked for my memories, but they were gone. I know it was on Adams that I learned to love Golden Bird. That first of all the Birds was there. It's gone now. Nothing left in the franchises, but the pickles. I kept driving and looking for all the auction houses where I used to search out Queen Anne and Sheridan pieces, just looking at my favorite bone china and the beautiful way mother of pearl and sterling silver work together in flatware. I spent a lot of time in those houses looking at the discards or no longer needed treasures from the beautiful old houses in the West Adams District, although I'm not sure I ever heard those homes called that. Certainly, down at the end of Juliet where I lived, there wasn't that much bone china or sterling anything. I was struggling and working three or more jobs all the time, trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. Isn't it funny how being broke doesn't matter so much if you've got somewhere you can aim for and a lifetime to find where you might want to go--still looking, I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment