Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Friday, July 31, 2009

The Airmen in Las Vegas

I am excited about my upcoming trip to Las Vegas. Next weekend is the Tuskegee Airmen Convention and it's gonna be fun, fun, fun. Like way too many people, I didn't know much about the Airmen until I got knee deep in the Tuskegee: Journey to Flight. Most of the fascinating people I met lived through struggles in Times of War and Times of Peace. They chose carefully what they wanted to say about what life in the South during World War II was like, the humiliation they received at the hands of white officers or the outrage of seeing German Prisoners of War being allowed to ride in the front of the bus or eat at white lunch counters while they, fresh back from fighting for their country, were not. But the pain was there, still close to the surface --almost seventy years later. For months I was working on producing five videos that became part of the Exhibit. But then I was only talking to people from California, since the museum is the California African American Museum with a focus generally on people from this area. In Las Vegas, I'll be working for the military and talking to Airmen from all over the country. The CAAM Exhibit is open through the end of November, so if you are reading this, come by the museum and check it out. Off to salute the Black Warriors of World War II, I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson.

No comments:

Post a Comment