Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Monday, July 20, 2009

Jimmy Carter is one Real Man

Jimmy Carter is kicking the Southern Baptists to the curb. Just one more reason that I love him. I voted for him and watched him get sabotaged by Washington's determination to never let anyone change the way those old white men in the back rooms run things (Obama is suffering from this as well right now, watcha!) There's a photo of Jimmy and me in front of a banner for a program called "Cities in Schools" hanging in my home gallery. After his Presidency, I watched Rosalind and Jimmy build houses with their own hands while Reagan was collecting millions for his little speeches to the other rightwingers who shared his ugly opinions. Jimmy used his brilliant mind to negotiate movement in the Middle East when all the other posturing jerks didn't/wouldn't/couldn't. I was born among Hardshell Southern Baptists and I had to grin when Jimmy said "enough" to the Baptists after trying to create change from within. He did it for the very same reasons I did it as a girl. They said women have to be "subservient to their husbands." Oh, kiss my wide behind. I'm not very elegant in my disgust with those self-righteous asses, but watch Jimmy: "At its most repugnant, the belief that women must be subjugated to the wishes of men excuses slavery, violence, forced prostitution, genital mutilation and national laws that omit rape as a crime. But it also costs many millions of girls and women control over their own bodies and lives, and continues to deny them fair access to education, health, employment and influence within their own communities. The truth is that male religious leaders have had -- and still have -- an option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter. Their continuing choice provides the foundation or justification for much of the pervasive persecution and abuse of women throughout the world." You go Jimmy!!! Rosalind and millions of women are applauding. I'm Ruth Adkins Robinson saluting the former Commander in Chief, Jimmy Carter, a real man.

No comments:

Post a Comment