Earth Mother

Earth Mother

Friday, July 24, 2009

Mint Julep, Pim's Cup, Kir Royale

I caught a show on the Fine Living Network tonight about cocktails and places people enjoy them. Keeping with my theory that 'smell' is the most intense of all the senses, I gave some thought to what I smelled when I drank what I drank. The smell of mint made me think about the Mint Julep of Kentucky Derby Fame. I still have one that I very cermoniously make on the first saturday of every May and drink it during the "most exciting two minutes in sports." I drink my Julep wherever I happen to be that saturday in May. Cucumber comes to mind for another favorite. When in England, I always drank a Pim's Cup, which is Pim's liquer, ginger ale and a cucumber wheel and I substituted champagne for the ginger ale most of the time. Pim's is the drink of big tennis competitions. And when the music business was in full swing and Le Dome was where you went if you were anybody, I drank a thousand kir royales that my favorite waiter, the Belgian Henri would put on my table when I walked through the door. The smell of the framboise in that drink still makes me dizzy. I so enjoyed the fun of sharing a drink with friends, but diabetes put any serious drinking in my past, except for my yearly Julep. However, recently my doctor told me that a glass of red wine every day was fine. Any suggestions for Ruth Adkins Robinson?

No comments:

Post a Comment